Rapidly reusable space systems require unique GNC solutions for the journey to space and back again. As the Lead Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) Engineer at an early-stage start-up, you will own all elements of GNC development and integration for a reusable launch vehicle.
Your work will include system architecture, requirements definition, algorithm development, simulation modeling, rigorous test, and support of launch operations. Your solutions will have a foundational impact on the success of this organization and your work will be at the forefront of space technology. You must be ready to stay focused, move fast, self-direct, and learn on the fly.
- Exceptional command of fundamentals
- Demonstrated skills in modeling, simulation, and analysis software such as MATLAB/Simulink
- Knowledge of one or more high-level programming languages such as C or C++
- Proficiency in defining requirements for subsystem sensors and actuators needed to support navigation and control functions (e.g., inertial measurement units, thrust vector control actuators)
- Proficiency in control system verification through both classical analytical (e.g., linear stability analysis) and simulation-based (e.g., Monte Carlo) methods
- Familiarity with fundamentals of orbital mechanics and orbital trajectory design
- Knowledge of systems engineering fundamentals, from requirements definition through verification
- Ability to lead
- Ability to follow
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering, or similar
- Gather, define, and document GNC requirements to meet existing and anticipated needs across the launch system
- Develop software capabilities such as algorithms for vehicle guidance, attitude control, and velocity control.
- Develop vehicle and environment models to simulate GNC algorithm performance and robustness
- Develop, analyze, and review data to validate requirements and verify GNC algorithms meet their design intent
- Ensure system quality and performance through rigorous test
- Write test plans and testing cases. Lead and execute unit/integration/systems level verification and validation.
- Collaborate closely with Flight Software engineers to implement GNC algorithms in an integrated flight software and flight hardware test bed.
- Support launch operations and integrated test for the vehicle and its subsystems
- Develop capabilities for failure detection and failure management